Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Boy am I naive.

Reading Gourmet this morning I stumbled upon this article about slavery of tomato pickers. Why does it surprise me? I suppose I live my isolated suburban life, without ever knowing how bad others in America have it. Sure in other non-industrialized countries, but in America? Apparently there is legitimate slavery going on in Florida for those who pick our tomatoes. As the article mentions, what is the point, winter tomatoes don't even taste any good. The author's suggestion? In the winter buy locally grown hydroponic tomatoes (how could you stand it though) and then in the summer grow your own and buy local.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Good article, it's fairly easy to find greenhouse tomatoes grown in Ontario around here but they don't taste like much either.