Friday, May 08, 2009

simple sides :: ricotta fritters

Last week fresh ricotta caught my eye at WF and I just couldn't resist. So I bought it without any idea what I'd use it for.

It's been staring at me from the fridge for six days, begging to be used before it went bad, so tonight I threw together a fantastic side dish that had the kids and adults longing for seconds.

Proscuitto ricotta fritters
(You could of course make this without the Proscuitto, but I had a few slices in the fridge also begging to get used before spoiling.)

1. Mix together 3 cups fresh ricotta (if you've only got Sargento or Polly-o, don't bother with this recipe), 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup self-rising flour & 4 or 5 slices of Proscuitto di parma chopped & black pepper. Go easy on the salt- the romano and proscuitto add a lot.

2. Drop by 1/8 cupfuls into 375 degree oil. Remove when golden brown- approximately 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towel lined baking sheet.

These are seriously yummy and hard to stop popping in your mouth. Not only do they make a great side dish, but they'd also make a great app. Tasted just as good at room temp.

No comments: