Saturday, February 28, 2009

King Corn

An excerpt from this month's Slow Food of Huron Valley newsletter directed me to two clips on you tube.

Several months ago I saw a documentary on PBS called King Corn. Two college graduates buy an acre of land and follow it for one year- raising one acre of corn. They are hit with the ins and outs about commerical farming of corn and what it has done to our agricultural system in America - and how disgustingly close that it is all tied into our fast food culture. I would highly recommend it if you can get your hands on a copy of the DVD. So they've apparently created a spoof of the recent corn syrup add that's been all over TV lately. And it's classic.

HFCS commercial paid for by the corn refiner's association:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

and the spoof -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRicUInkYQM

I've been reading An Omnivore's Dilemna by Pollan. Really a great read so far. I'll update more when I'm done with it, but there's a large section about the "corning" of America. It's really quite interesting. Eye opening to say the least.

No comments: