Monday, November 21, 2011

a new favorite & easy salad

Raw Kale. 
I know you probably think this is crazy from the start, but trust me.  Raw Kale is the new romaine. ;)

Thai Peanut Kale Salad
Thinly slice (even, julienne) two heads of latin kale 
( -the flat leafed kale.  it would also work with curly, but the texture is better with "cavelo nero")

Add two large carrots, shredded and 1 cup shredded red cabbage 
(I had a bag of pre-shredded, although I generally advise against prepared veggies.  
This one makes adding extra fiber to your salads so very much easier .)

Combine one cup Annie Chung's Thai peanut sauce (or a different brand that you trust) with 1/4 cup cider vinegar.  Pour over veggies. Top with 1/2 cup chopped peanuts. 

Sometimes I would go to the trouble of making my own peanut dressing.  In this case I needed a quick salad and remembered that I had an open bottle of this in the fridge.  I literally threw this together for lunch today, and it was a huge hit.  It's a wonderful way to get your family to eat fresh raw veggies.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can we have this next week?