quick tomato soup
- heat 2 tbsp e.v. olive oil in a sauce pan. saute one tbsp oregano and one tsp red pepper flakes until the spices are fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. (have also added finely diced onion and/or garlic at this point, but not today in the interest of time)
- add one large can, 28 oz, of crushed san marzano tomatoes.
- add one quart of chicken stock. bring to a boil.
- after this has simmered for 10 minutes, puree with an immersion blender for a more homogenous texture.
- add 1/2 cup grated parmesan reg.
- (optional) for added thickness, reduce the heat and add 1/2 cup half and half. don't bring to a full boil once you've added the cream.
- season with fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.
Especially when there are kids around, I love to cut the grilled cheese into strips, made perfect for dipping into the soup.
** be careful with the amount of red pepper flakes. add to taste. if you like things a little less spicy or if you are making this is for kids, don't add quite as much. a pinch would probably be sufficient.