Tuesday, July 28, 2009

daring bakers :: July milanos


The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.

My whole family loves milanos. Get a bag in the house and between all six of us they can easily be done in a night... or just an hour... who are we kidding, 15 minutes. I was happy to see that this was an option for this months Daring bakers.

This recipe was pretty simple and quick to make, but I really didn't find that it substituted for the texture of a true milano. My cookies were soft in the middle, even though the edges were browned. If you've never tasted a milano, you'd never know that they failed. But with that comparison, I don't think I would make them again - if my goal was a milano. Because I sensed that I wouldn't be successful with the cookie, I turned to the filling for satisfacation.

A few things contributed to this flavor combo. I'm late again for my posting which I'm frustrated about. And I'm in that summer kind of mood where Reeses peanut butter cups call to me in my dreams. (Someone recently told me that they make the best smores.) So I'm here to say that a little ganache plus a generous spread of peanut butter makes the best sandwich cookie you'll ever have, even if it is a little soft.




4 comments:

Julie (Willow Bird Baking) said...

Yummm, peanut butter sounds like a great addition! My cookies were soft too, but thankfully I prefer chewy to crisp in cookies.

Lacey said...

Awesome. They look so good. I don't care for peanutbutter much, but my family would love these I bet! Good job!
And don't sweat posting late. I'm in the same boat :)

Lisa said...

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Milans are the stuff dreams are made of, chewy cookie or not. Yours look beautiful and delicious. I think I might try these again in the Winter or Fall, and see if the cookies stay crisp.

Eralda LT said...

Mmmm...I love Milano cookies. Yours look so delicious. Beautiful photo, too.