Thursday, December 15, 2011

leftovers

It just makes you cringe, doesn't it?  That's not what you want to hear when you walk in the door.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of leftovers.  Of course if I make a whole tray of lasagna then I don't mind having it for two meals in a row.   But I'd much prefer to take the left over food and make something new with it.

Many food publications have "what to do with your turkey" issues, so it's nothing ingenious to advise making something new out of the basics.

I'm WAY behind on the Thanksgiving leftover bandwagon, but I made a fabulous curried turkey salad that I've been meaning to share.  I'm guessing that you don't have any thanksgiving turkey leftovers.  If you do, please throw them out.  Start from scratch.

CURRIED TURKEY SALAD
Roast a breast of turkey per instructions on the package.  Roughly chop four cups of turkey breast. Dice one apple (your favorite variety), two celery stalks and 6 scallions.  Grate one half of a red onion. (I use my box grater for onions on salads.) Mix together.

Add one cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt, and 1/4 cup dijon mustard. (or this Moroccan mustard, if you were lucky enough to snag a jar before Zingerman's sold out)  Mix to combine.  Add one tablespoon of your favorite curry powder.  I used a sweet blend.  (Pantry low on spices?  Check out Penzey's)  Season with salt and pepper.  Taste.  If you want it spicier, add more curry or hot sauce.

Mix sauce with turkey mixture.  Top with 1/2 cup sliced almonds.  Serve on lettuce or on tandoori naan. 

No comments: